May 28, 2008
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- NASCAR on Wednesday issued penalties, fines and suspensions to the No. 66 and No. 70 teams in the Sprint Cup Series.
The No. 66 car, driven by Scott Riggs, and the No. 70 car, driven by Johnny Sauter, were found to be in violation of Sections 12-4-A (actions detrimental to stock car racing) and 20-3.1.3A (wing mounting locations were not as specified by the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Rule Book).
The infractions were discovered May 24 at Lowe's Motor Speedway.
As a result:
• Riggs has been penalized 150 driver points;
• No. 66 car owner Joe Custer has been penalized 150 owner points;
• Sauter has been penalized 150 driver points;
• No. 70 car owner Margaret Haas has been penalized 150 owner points;
• Both the crew chiefs and the car chiefs for the two cars -- Bootie Barker and Derick Jennings for the No. 66 and Dave Skog and Thomas Harris for the No. 70 -- have been suspended from the next six Sprint Cup Series events, suspended from NASCAR until July 9 and placed on NASCAR probation until Dec. 31;
• Additionally, Barker and Skog each have been fined $100,000.
The penalty also includes NASCAR's confiscation of team 66 Serial Number HMS 12 06 415 race car and team 70 Serial Number HMS 04 08 507 race car.